Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mid-Session Check In Blog


Dear Mrs. Darrow,
My biggest challenge so far in this class has been trying to reach the full potential of analyzing a text. It is difficult for me to get the whole meaning behind the text and to put it into words. I have been able to grasp half of what is required but I would like to expand it much further. It has also been difficult for me to balance of work schedule along with my other priorities this summer. I have never taken any summer classes so I am not used to having any school stress on my shoulders right now. I am a really big procrastinator right not and I am not usually like that. My biggest success would be, being able to understand more complex texts. Part of this success would be due to me understanding the concept of annotating. Annotating has helped me a lot in understanding the texts we have read in class. Learning this new method has helped me substantially with my assignments, not just in this class but others as well.
The readings in this class have affected me in different ways. Reading The Things They Carried has really made me realize how awful the war was and is now. I never really paid much attention to what was going on with our country. I lived in my own little naïve world. The Handmaids Tale really caught me by surprise. It was hard for me to grasp on to the concept of all the horrible things going on in the story. It is really surprising to see our world conform so dramatically. It makes me remember to be thankful for all the things we take for granted every day.
Literary analysis is different from others types of writing in that it really forces thinking outside the box. Reading between the lines and seeing things that are not literally written out is difficult to do. Details and description are no longer of great importance. Literary analysis requires critical thinking skills and being able to see things from all angles. Learning to master this skill will help in many ways in school and future careers.
My goals for the second half of the session are to be able to reach full potential of analyzing a text. This is something I struggle with so it is important to me I learn to do it correctly and fully. I have a lot of room for improvement in this area and I plan in accomplish just that. I am learning and listening to the feedback you are giving me, and it has helped me already. I know the areas of analysis I need to improve on which are seeing individual concepts rather than the whole picture at once. I must learn to break thins down and focus on one thing at a time. Another goal of mine is to get my work turned in earlier to I am not stressing myself out so much. Part of this is managing my time better and not putting my work off until the last minute. Doing these simple things will also improve my work quality which is my last goal.
Sincerely,
Maranda Tapia

No comments:

Post a Comment