Friday, July 23, 2010

Source Evaluation


Sexual Slavery on Main Street (Librart Source)
Cooper, Elissa. "Sexual Slavery on Main Street." Christianity Today 54.5 (2010): 17.
MAS Ultra - School Edition. EBSCO. Web. 21 July 2010.

This article talks about Christian organizations that are taking steps to reduce the teen trafficking in the United States. They have come up with many resources in order to fund their organization through federal grants and donations. It seems that many people are not aware of sexual slavery in the U.S but once they find out they want to help. The article gives many facts and statistics about the rate of teen disappearances due to trafficking, how many victims have been saved, and how many offenders have been caught. It also claims that the consequences of sexual slavery are low. It gives a few examples of how females were lured into sexual slavery. The stories go on to tell of the horrors the women went through and how they got out.
I plan to use this article in my paper by taking the statistics about trafficking and use them to have a better foundation for my paper. As said before many do not know how common teen trafficking really is. This article also gave me a better understanding of what sexual slavery is. Sexual Slavery on Main Street also made me realize that there are many organizations in the U.S that dedicate their time to saving sex trafficking victims.

Russia Today (Video Source)
YouTube. 9 Dec. 2008. Web. 20 July 2010. .
This video is a T.V broadcast from Russia Today about sex trafficking in the U.S. The anchor woman gives information about the sex trafficking statistics. She says that Washington D.C has the highest percentage rate for sexual slavery across the United States. The broadcast then goes into a interview with a victim of sex trafficking. The victim tells about her experience. She says that she was forced to sell herself for sex. Sadly she was convicted for prostitution and the man forcing her to sell herself was never convicted. Police made her believe it was her fault and also told her nothing would happen to the offender. Lastly the video moves on to an organization that helps victims and others that may be at risk for sexual slavery.
I plan to use this source in my paper to have more statistics for the support of my paper. However I will only use little information from this source. It was more for me to get a better understanding and view on the topic.

Spark Notes(Web Source)
SparkNotes Editors. “SparkNote on The Handmaid’s Tale.” SparkNotes.com. SparkNotes
LLC. 2003. Web. 21 Jul. 2010.
Spark Notes is an online source that a reader can go to for any information they want about a book. They have a list of characters and analysis of characters. The source also gives chapter by chapter summaries allowing you to make sure, as a reader, you didn’t miss anything. There is also a link for symbols and themes that let the reader know the hidden meaning behind the text. This site also offers a quiz over what the book was about. This really helps the reader to make sure he/she understood the text.
This source really helped me come up with my essay topic. I was having trouble narrowing down topics and this source helped me greatly. Throughout much of the book I was confused and irritated by the way the book left me to fill in all the missing holes. I was able to use this source to check my interpretations and get a better understanding of the text.

Atwood, Margaret. The Handmaid's Tale. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1986. Print.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood was a type of dystopian literature. This book is pulled from the first person narrative. The author changes Cambridge of Massachusettes into the Republic of Gilead and women’s rights are taken form them completely, not allowing them to own any property. Women who are unable to produce or bear child were either sent away or assigned other jobs. Those that were fertile were assigned to a household to produce a child for a husband and wife and they were called handmaids. Once the handmaid did their jobs, they were sent to another household to do the same thing. If rules were broken, they were either sentenced to death, sent away or were forced into prostitution. Some of the women and men in the Republic were a part of a group to restore things back to order. This was women’s only hope.
The Handmaid’s Tale was the main source for my paper. I was able to base my thesis around the text of the book. I plan to take quotes from the text in order to solidify my paper and prove me point. I plan to use more information of the text to prove my thesis more thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment